Show reviews that mention
game order customer customer service store service games money card phone
Filter review

Asked a basic question and was treated like an ***

I went to the local game stop to trade in an Xbox 360 a day after talking to an associate there who said the console was worth $50 to $55 (no mention of needing a controller). I have never traded or sold them a game system, so I place my stuff on the counter and the associate snidely asks "Where is the controller?" I asked why and he said I needed it to trade in the console, or he could charge me $45.00 to give me one to trade in with the console. I asked how much they would give me for just the control and he asked how far away do you live. Not the answer I was looking for. So, I leave, not willing to pay $45.00 to get $55.00. I call their customer service number to see if that is common practice or if the employee was trying to rip me off. I get a guy who speaks very little English who retorts very condescendingly. "That is how it works you don't understand this is a business you don't have to take the trade." Again, not the answer I am looking for. I am a little pissed and ask to speak to a supervisor, get put on hold for 5-7 minutes, then he comes back and says the supervisor is busy you will have to wait. So, a little more annoyed at this guy, I tell him I want a supervisor now, he says I have warned you and hangs up on me. I call back and get a supervisor, another that speaks little English, tells me he will coach the person, but I really need to call a District Manager to ask the question I had about deal at the local game stop. So, thank you for nothing and I hang up. All I was trying to have answered was - Is the guy ripping me off or is that the actual store policy but get treated like *** by a couple people who are answering telephones halfway around the world!!!!!

Gamestop policy is when you are trading in a console you need to have everything that goes with that console, otherwise they either cannot sell it or have to supply the missing part themselves from their inventory. When you take an item from inventory you are taking money from the company and that needs to be replaced.

"Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value."

So no he was not trying to rip you off.

Los Angeles, California

3ds Problems

Over the summer, I bought a used pink 3ds to play Animal Crossing New Leaf. It worked fine for the next two hours until it died and needed to charge. As you know, the only way to change a 3ds is to use a ds charger. However, in the box, there wasn't the regular Nintendo charger, but a game stop charger. Naturally, I never suspected anything, and proceeded to charge my 3ds. However, here was the problem that came in, the charger did not work. I had to turn off my 3ds in order to charge, and even then, it still did not work. At one point the charger gotten stuck on the 3ds charging port. I would later ask my mom to try to get the charger unstuck from the port. But sadly it broke. I was furious not because my 3ds broke, but the fact that game stop could not send in a regular charger, than their *** charger. The very next day, my mom went in to return the 3ds. Occurring to her, they refused to accept it, saying that it did not have a serial code. At that time, mom went into a fight with the employes saying that they should of checked the system before trying to sell it to me. She made them go get a new 3ds and forced them to check the charging port which worked for a while. When she got home, I played my 3ds again only to find out that the charging port was faulty, and I had to jiggle the charger to get my 3ds to charge correctly. It wasn't until a few months later till I saw the same 3ds that broke on the store shelves again. Do what did I learn? Never to buy a used system at game stop. Sure its cheaper, but at low quality and less chances to return it since most of those systems have their serial id taken off. For now on I'll buy my games and systems at amazon than at game stop.

Game stop is no good . BAD product and poor service.

New York, New York

Manager and girl employee pooooor service(ponce town center,pr)

Iwas with my daughter We were down there for spring break good break. She got a game she wanted. We went to the cashier to pay we wait for 30 min. And the manager and the other where talking out loud .I can stand him and I cant neither lets get him fire.And saying other things but this got our attention.How can a manager talk like this. After they finished talking and laughing. The manager said Oh are ready. My daughter very fraustareted,said yes but you can keep your game and I will write a complaint.She the manager try to pride her with discounts.Very upset with people who like totalk about cooworkers. Siloam Lee

This store is a big missed. No respect for no one don't want to work with them. Sorry for those employees :( :( :( :(

You already wrote a previous complaint about this, except in your other letter, YOU were the one that told the manager that you would not buy the game. Now suddenly in this letter, it was your daughter that said it.

So, what is the real truth because you have really lost all validity and I wouldn't believe anything you said at this point. And like I said on your other letter, you should have minded your own business as it does not concern you what the staff was discussing.

View more comments (1)
Ponce, Ponce

Manager and employee talking about a coworker

I was shopping with my daughter (I was in vacation from NY) which she was going to get a game she wanted. As we walked around and was going to pay the manager and this girl who is and employee there where talking about an employee that they wanted out. and hated him ,that he thought he was all. and what ever. well after they had their talk about this other employee.Which I felt very unconfrontable. they come out and said "oh I did not see you there" I said really KEEP ON TALKING THAT NOW I DONT WANT YOUR GAME. THIS WAS AT TOWN CENTER PONCE,PR

Who cares? What do you care?

Did it affect you? If you become that uncomfortable with just gossip, how did you ever have a kid? With your eyes closed? Although it was in poor taste and not professional that those two were not working but gossiping, what's it to you?

You were even more rude by making that comment to the both of them. Frankly, you know what?

At that point, since you were technically loitering and no longer shopping in their establishment, you were TRESPASSING! I would have called the cops on you!

@PissedConsumer808869

Now what business you have that's they complain not yours,they have all the right to complain of not being attended just because employees weren't doing what they are pay for

I had the same experience at a very large and regionally famous bookstore. I thought how rude and ignorant the employees were being, but went on about my business and purchased the books I wanted.

The drama in the store amongst employees was not my business. End of story.

View more comments (2)
Ponce, Ponce

Used game $6 more expensive than New game at local retailer

I read an advertisement of buy 2 games and get the 3rd one free under $20. I could not find any games worth buying under $20. The game my daughter was looking at Despicable Me, was a "used" game, upon considering I decided to look up the retail price of a "new" Despicable Me game. The cost was $19.99 brand new at any other retailer, some online sources selling it $16.99. Gamestop sells it "used" for $26. Used!!! I approached the sales person and they said that they are not responsible for the prices, they were very aware of these prices being more than the retail prices. Someone else decides those prices and we have no say in that, was their answer. Therefore if I wished to buy the "used" game I would have to pay the $26. How can a store such as this promote and advertise as the best deals on games when they are selling their used games over the original retail price of the exact same game but brand new. If I saw this sale person somewhere, my first impression would be, there is this person who sells these ripoff games. How sad for them to work there and have their credibility as a person and what they stand for, questioned. Terrible experience! We ended up buying the game an hour later at another location. Brand New for 19.99 and a 10% off coupon!! I did not end up losing money, false advertising and bad business is very common these days, but I can see where many younger naive people think they get a deal but are spending money on these games. My point, if I sold a used watch, and down the street the watch is sold new for $100, I decide I want to sell the used watch and pick out young people prone to fall for my sale pitch and advertising and proceed to selling them the used watch for $125, my business conduct is less then honorable and I better watch my step as many would come to retaliate. Also, I have to add, instead of your employees to just stand around doing nothing, they could wipe down their used game boxes as some of them had stuck on dirt/food between the edges.

If you work at Gamestop then you have no credibility as a person, what if you have no job?

@PissedConsumer823026

Well yes, that's why it is so sad that people might very well be judged as an employee because of the ripoff scamming employer, right. I certainly don't but some might.

And yes, some employees will tell you that you will not find it cheaper anywhere else where there are others whom don't mind being honest and tell you to hit Walmart. BTW, yes Gamestop has been sued repeatedly for false advertising.

Welcome to capitalism where people can charge what they want for items. It's not false advertising, they told you the game used was $26.

You choose to either buy the game or buy it new for less or don't buy it. And if you buy 2 used games you get another free, that is not false advertising. Yes, some used games have a higher price to make up the loss of the 3rd free game.

Also some used games never depreciate in value, some are still sold at $55 even years after they are released because people are still willing to pay that price. Yay capitalism!

@PissedConsumer807877

No one should shop there and now with the "circlear of life" scandal and the rise of digital distribution gamestop's demise is imminent.

View more comments (3)
Mandeville, Louisiana

Online Pre-Order PC Game

Purchased online as gift. Received confirmation page, confirmation email, and friend got confirmation email, GameStop received payment. Friend tried to load game, said you don't own game. Called customer service and they couldn't find order. I was treated like I was trying to steal a game from them. I told them I have 3 order confirmation and a bank statement saying you were paid. After 45 minutes, I finally got to a supervisor who gave me the authentication code over the phone. Never again. Tried to fill out survey on their site, but I don't have the required information, so they don't want to know. I even told supervisor I wanted to fill one out.
Ashburn, Virginia

Horrible Staff

This post is regarding the gamestop in Bemidji, MN (56601). And mainly about an employee they have by the name of Derek. He's got dark hair and wears glasses. This guy was beyond rude. I entered the store and said hey, he responded with a sarcastic hey?, laughed and shook his head like I had no business talking to him at all. I ignored that and did my browsing anyways. But when finished and approached the counter to pay, he just stood there on his phone making me wait. I gave him a good 20 seconds and he still just stood there typing away on his phone. There was no way he didn't see me. So I left my items there and walked out. As I'm walking out he says "where are you going"? I look back and he's got this smug smile on his face. I didn't get a feedback number obviously so how am I supposed to complain about him? I sent an email to gamestop's website but got no reply. No doubt he's a manager or something because I've seen him there again hoping he wasn't working. Once I saw it was him I left the store immediately. You've lost my business gamestop. I've switched to eBay and Amazon for my needs. I'd rather wait for a few days for it to be shipped to me rather than be played with and deal with rude employees.

Don't let one person represent an entire company, he was probably the sour apple among the normal ones. Ive dealt with immature employees at a gamstop years ago, and now Ive been shopping at another one for a while now and their employees are so nice.

First off you probably waited 5 seconds.. I'm sure he wasn't sarcastic either.. I'm sure you were the d.ouchebag!

@Mateus

Nah I counted. 20 seconds for sure. And how am I the *** I did nothing wrong

You're nuts

@PissedConsumer800308

Lol how so?

A whole 20 seconds and you walked out? Sounds like there's more to your story...

@PissedConsumer800304

Nah I didn't leave out anything. Just got annoyed with the initial dismissive behavior and having to wait for him to finish what he was doing in his phone.

View more comments (6)
Los Angeles, California

DON'T BUY FROM GAMESTOP

I bought a Pre-owned Xbox360 from Gamestop for $250.00, it worked perfectly fine for 4 months. One day I got on to play, and a random message popped up that said, "Sorry, this system cannot be played until your payment subscribtions are up to date". I had no idea what it could be for, since I paid basically full price for the system. I did some Google searches. Come to find out, Microsoft had a deal in the past to sell Xbox360 systems at $99 if you bought 3 years of Xbox Live with it. Whomever pre-owned the system, took the deal and quit paying. No big deal, I'll take it in and have them swap it out.. Nope. Gamestop had put a non-matching serial code Xbox into the package labeled with a different serial, and won't swap it out because the system doesnt match the receipt and label on the box. THEY *** up. It was sealed when they gave it to me. So my receipt matches the package but not the system. They're accusing me of swapping out systems, you can ask anyone in my home, it is the same exact system I brought home from Gamestop. They said a lady in Texas bought the system, I'm in Indiana and know no one from Texas.. I'm an adult, and never stolen or scammed anything in my life, so the assumptions really *** me off. Along with the fact that since they won't do anything about it, I'm stuck with a paperweight the size of an Xbox360. So, from this day forward, I pledge that I will never buy another item from Gamestop, destroy their rep to anyone I can, and to stop as many people as I can from shopping there. It wouldn't have pissed me off so bad had they at least accepted the possibility they screwed up, but nope, it all falls on me. I understand policies, but they need to accept THEIR mistakes also. I didn't switch anything, and have no reason to do so. *** GAMESTOP! DONT GO THERE!
#820607

its funny how you blame gamestop for a problem microsoft could have easily fixed. way to be ignorant

Kokomo, Indiana
Loss

New wii u purchased it two days ago,store will not return

On monday I went to gamestop store #3675. Itrade in a playstation 3 because we bought the PlayStation 4 so we thought lets exchange the 3 for a wiu u for the kids... well my kids dont like it they are more into their tablets. So i called the store to make sure i could return it and they said NO because its new... that they could only accept used consoles. I told him to charge me a restockung fee he said no.Policy sucks at gamestop. They should atleast check ou the system and sthey will see its in new condition. TWO DAYS OLD PEOPLE... NOW IM STUCK

IF you Open the box, then how is it still "New".

Yeah hate to say this but you are SOL. GameStop does not have a "restocking fee" like most companies. You should have read the policy.

Your best bet is to sell it on ebay or craigslist as new.You still should be prepared to take a loss though.If you sell it to them used you would be lucky to get 15 bucks for it.This is how these places make their money.

use It then return it at a loss then. unfortunately its not their fault you didn't read the return policy but it is there for a reason.

did you even try getting a manager?

and if they weren't helpful go up the chain explaining the situation. sometimes the people at ground level are only allowed to do so much and it takes going higher to get authorization to override company policy.

I know this as I work retail and i'm only allowed to do so much which *** off customers sometimes but I explain that i'll get a manager who CAN authorize the situation whatever it may be.

not their fault you didn't read the return policy. you should have bought a used one.

that can be returned with in 7 days. so your stuck or can sell it back to them at a loss.

View more comments (4)
Inglewood, California

Refused to honor paid warranty on used system

Purchased a used system from gamestop along with a 2-year warranty. 6 months later it broke, and I attempted to return it to the store. They refused to honor the warranty because the serial number on my receipt (and the box the whole thing came in) didn't match the system. Apparently they expect customers to open their purchases in store to make sure they haven't put the wrong console in the wrong box. I've been purchasing from GS for a while, but never again. I'd rather buy from walmart or amazon or best buy... bet they'd not make a mistake and blame their customer.

Okay I admit it, I had an old system that I broke six or so months ago. I purchased an used one and then when I lost my job I tried to return the old broken one so I can get some money.

I was hoping they would not do a serial number check. I still had the old one with me because I was hoping some sucker would buy it on ebay.

Saint Louis, Missouri

GameStop sucks!

I went in and bought a used Pokemon X and Y Nintendo 3ds Xl for my nephew (it was his birthday). There are only two people working there - the manager and an employee. I wait in line for like half an hour and am finally able to order it. I ask him ("him" being the manager) if there were any problems with the console (scratches, dings, viruses, ect.) and he told me no. Later, I pick it up from the store, give it to Mack, and when he opens it, there are three scratches on the outside AND the system was slow. The next day, he starts it up again and was not able to play ANY games on it. I told the store, and they would not give me a refund or let me exchange it. Geez! The manager told me that you could not exchange limited edition items! Poor service, never going again. How sad since that was my first time going to a GameStop.
Glendale, California

Phone customer service is aweful

I'm on right now, waiting for the lady that has put me on hold 3 times now to return, again, so that she can help me. I pre-purchased a game, and now just want a refund. She can hardly speak english. Just hit 34 minutes. Good luck to all people who have to deal with their phone service! Plan on taking your whole day to get anything done. I don't usually have much of a problem with non-English speaking customer service... But if I get her back and she asks "Wha??" One more time, I'mma go ballistic. 40 min up. No mercy.

Why don't you just go into the store?

Shady Employee Asking For Unnecessary Information

Location: 22545 State Highway 249 Suite 110 Houston, TX 77070 Earlier today, an employee named Christopher helped me return a couple games I bought less than a week ago. He asked me if I had a GameStop card, and I said no. This is the ensuing conversation: Christopher: "Alright, well since you don't have a GameStop card, we'll just give you one. What's your first and last name?" Me: *gives first and last name* "But I don't want the card." Christopher: "Oh, you don't want the card? Alright...and your address?" Me: "This information isn't required to get a refund, why do you need it?" Christopher: "I just need to get your information to do the refund." Me: "Wal-Mart or HEB doesn't ask for this information when doing a refund, I just need to present the method of payment used before and a receipt." Christopher: "Uh...the computer is prompting me...I just need your information." Me: *makes up information, gets refund, and leaves* Pretty sure he gets an incentive for signing people up with this GameStop card. Pretty ***.

returns are tracked by local police so are trades thats why they ask for it if you have the card it will auto fill the only difference between signing you up for the card and trades is to sign you up he would need and email and to trade DOB and to return address and phone number your just on here to complain about *** you know nothing about

actually he really needed the information, when you do a return is required to give your information just in case you stole o something like that, if you are pissed of, just dont buy there, no one is making you go there, so, u know already

also, there are no incentives for signing people up for any card, especially not the free one. they're not even tracked. so if you're only "pretty sure" about something maybe consider the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about.

it's policy at any GameStop while doing a return whether you're getting a card or not. it is to prevent fraudulent returns and the computer does not let you do the return without it.

and besides, the basic card he wanted to give you does not require an address, only the pro card for them to send you the magazine.

were you charged $14.99 for the pro card? if not, he did not sign you up for any card.

View more comments (3)
Houston, Texas
Gamestop -  I received the wrong item
Hi! I'm from Brazil and a few days ago I bought some games as a gift for a friend in a store in Kissimmee-FL. I bought the Assassin's Creed 4 - Black Flag (NEW version, not pre-owned) and the problem is that only yesterday when I gave to him, he realized that the guy...
Kissimmee, Florida

Order two strategy guides

I ordered two Legend of Zelda official strategy guides (windwaker HD and between two worlds) on sale. Got my order yesterday opened the box and there were two hats inside. I called Gamestop customer service and was told that it would take 3 to 5 business days to process a replacement. I told them that is was unacceptable the rep tried to get it processed that same day putting me on hold. When she came back on the line I was told both guides were sold out and she wasn't sure they were getting anymore of them. I asked her what I am to do with these hats she asked me to return them using the return label. Guess what there was no packing slip or return label in the box. Just the hats she then told me to keep the hats (WTF am I going to do w/ Assassin Creed and Metal Gear baseball caps?). She also could not tell me where the items were shipped to by mistake. What a joke all she had to do was look to see who ordered these hats and maybe she would have found my books. I got my full refund including shipping but if course it will take 3 to 5 days for it to refund back to my card. I went to Amazon and bought the guides. This was my first and last time buying from Gamestop online.

Can I have the hats?

#772060

Most any retailer takes 3-5 business days to have a refund put back onto your card just so you know.

View more comments (1)